Thursday, September 20, 2012

Last SMDA of the season


Sunday, September 19th was the last SMDA show of the season. I was feeling very aprehensive about this show, and almost didn't go. Work has gotten really busy, so I haven't had as much time to ride, and when I do it's dark by the time I get done. I only had a chance to ride Otis three times on the week leading up to the show, and he was really bad all three days. I think a combination of the cooler weather, and I'm sure he could sense my stress level, even though I tried not show it. Not wanting to feel like I was quiting, I got home at 8:00 Saturday, gave Otis a quick bath, and double checked that I had everything packed for the show the next morning.

I got to the show and got Otis groomed, and decided to lunge him, just to see how he was gonig to be. Well, he was awesome, nice calm walk, trot, canter in both directions. I got him tacked up, got myslef dressed, and headed to the warm up ring. He was really good in there as well. The show was running a head of schedule, so I rode my Intro B test early, I figured since he was being good I would just go. He was a bit strong, and was doing this weird head thing that he has started doing. He moves his head from side to side, I think it's because he thinks I want him to do something, when really, I just want him to keep contact with my hands. It's just him trying to figure out this dressage thing, so I don't really fault him for it. We are working on it at home, and at our lessons. The judge really didn't like it though, and we got one of our worst scores ever. Her comments stated that is head "wag" is incorrect, and that I was trying to supple him too much. 

I took the comments into consideration for Intro C, and figured she would rather see his head up a little too far, than to see me trying to fix it all the time. Our Intro C test was AWESOME. Otis was so good. He was really calm, and was really paying attention to me. We had really good canter transitions, which I have been working on a lot at home and in our lessons. We got 7's and 8's on our canter and transitions! That made me pretty happy. We ended up with a score of 71% and a second place ribbon. 

I had to apologize to Otis for doubting him before this show. I thought it was going to be a complete disaster, and that he was just going to act terrible! Well he definitely proved me wrong! He was awesome for the entire show! He was a bit strong in Intro B, but he didn't do ANY of his normal naughty stuff (spooking or letting other horses wind him up). I was very proud of him, and I am confident that wtih a lot of work and continued lessons we can move up to training level next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers